Sunday, February 22, 2009

I have bartending experience now!

So this Thursday I got to pour wine and sodas for rich Democrats at a County Party fundraiser.  Stan Williams was supposed to do it, but he mixed up the dates and realized he had to go to NY for the YDA Convention.  So he called me up, and I decided to give it a shot.  Wine was definitely the crowd favorite.  This one old lady came up to me about four times throughout the night, the second or third time she asked me, "Do you do anything crass like counting?"  I told her no, but obviously that's a lie from what I'm writing here.  The last time she came up, she admitted she was only a little tipsy.  I poured her another glass, and she wobbled away.  

I also poured Harry Mitchell a diet coke!  I was out of ice when he came up, and he came back later to get a refill of coke, and then told me he knew where to get more ice and took the ice bucket and filled it up for me.  I thought that was so nice of him!  I was gonna give Terry Goddard a beer too, but this guy came out of nowhere behind me and already popped the top off a bottle before Terry could even ask for it.  I was thinking, dude, that's my job.  

People seemed to like me, I'm like BFFs with Ann Wallack now, the chair of the County Party.  I think it's partly to do with my name, but whatever.  Ann says she's gonna throw a party for young people, which would be pretty cool.  She also has a son, who I'm pretty sure swiped a beer while I wasn't looking, but that's not important.  But seriously, I was wearing a sticker with my name on it, and this couple comes up, and as I'm pouring them glasses of wine, I hear the lady whisper (but not really, because I could hear it) to her husband, "Look at her name..."  I was like, really?  At least talk about it when you walk away, not right in front of me.  

This issue is becoming more prominent as I am getting more involved here.  I don't want to use my name to get me places, I want to get there myself.  I really hope people never assume that of me.  I'm doing this work on my own, and I want to be recognized for it.  It really makes me question people's sincerity.  I always find myself doubting people's intentions, assuming alternative motives.  Maybe I shouldn't assume either, maybe I'm over reacting.  Maybe people actually find me interesting and want to get to know me and not just because I'm related to someone important.  But I'll guess I'll never know for certain.  I just have to keep working hard for what I believe in, and hopefully people will understand what I am in this for.  If they don't, then they obviously don't know me at all.

Also, Ann Wallack gave me $60 for helping out.  That's like more than $20 an hour!  I need to find more gigs like this.  

Hmm, other things going on:

I don't know if you guys have IHOPs where you are, but it's free pancake day on Tuesday (ironically, the day of Obama's State of the Union address).  

We're having an encore presentation of Street Fight for the WHAM this Wednesday.  We've decided to make the last WHAM of every month a movie night since there's not a lot going on right now.

YDAZ Convention this weekend.  It's at ASU, and hopefully will be better than last year.  At the exec meeting last week I met a guy from the West Campus named Alaska!  (well, his real name is Austin, but nobody calls him that).  I thought that was cool.  

I fell off my bike a couple weeks ago, and my knee is still kind of bruised.  That's my excuse for not doing physical therapy yet, but I've been doing yoga!

I'm probably going to dye my hair red, it's getting so long!  I'll let you know if I do this.

I think that's about it for now, oh I got Skype!  I have no idea how to use it, so someone should teach me.  And if it's possible to three/four-way call, we should do that.

I miss you all!  Much love from the stupid state of Arizona!

Erica

6 comments:

Brynna said...

You can always count on the fact that I had no idea your last name was any more special than any other last name.

Blairez said...

Aw thanks Brynna, that means so much to me! Love you lots!

Heidi said...

Oh Erica, living the glamorous life of a politician! All of my bar experiences here consist of kind-of-nasty beer and a very disappointing lack of mixed drinks so I think I will outsource you and solicit your bartending services here. If that's okay with you. I would probably only be able to pay you about 20 cents an hour as opposed to $20 an hour though... You're not about to get any special treatment from me due to that apparently special last name of yours! Yep I'm right with Brynna -- and you can bet that I have no alterior motives when I say that you are purely 100% awesome and deserve all the recognition you get.

And I think red will be a good look for you, especially with your tat and your bruises. You can be a full-out badass for real -- ain't nobody gonna mess with you.

Okay skype you soon!

ワイリー said...

Have you ever tried taking on an alias, Erica? It's really fun. Next time you're in a group with new people you should try it. I did it with Deborah down at No More Deaths on the border, though I had to keep watering down my story as I got out of my comfort zone. At least it got me to stop talking about Arizona politics for once!

Blairez said...

Goshhh I miss you guys so much! Heidi, you are amazing, I would totally work for 20 cents an hour if that meant I could spend an hour with you! God that's cheesey.

And that's an excellent idea Wylie, I will definitely give that a shot next time. Any suggestions for an alias?

ワイリー said...

Hmm, if you really wanted to try this, one route might be (I haven't tried this) to remember what you were like 5 or 6 years ago and update that persona for a good alias! That way it won't be hard to sink into. Then again, for me, 5 years ago were some dark days of awkward adolescence!