Thursday, June 25, 2009

OMG

So this is kind of like my first big political celebrity encounter here in DC.

Yesterday, I was just sitting at my desk in the office on the fourth floor of the Longworth House Office Building. I was in the back at the desk with the backup phone. We have it set up so one intern sits at the front desk with our staff assistant and two sit at desks in the back with the other staff members. I was at the desk with the back up phone so if the person up front is already on the phone, then it's my job to answer it if it rings twice.

It was the middle of the afternoon, and I heard the phone ring twice. So I picked it up expecting it to be another constituent that was so keen to convince me that global warming is a myth and that Harry Mitchell should not vote for the American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009 or they would be after him come 2010. I answered with the typical, perky greeting: "Congressman Mitchell's office, how may I help you?"

And in response, I heard, "Hello, this is Rahm Emanuel, President Obama's chief of staff."

Several things went through my mind at that second. At first I was shocked, that I was actually speaking to Rahm Emanuel. And then I had second thoughts, like this couldn't possibly be Rahm Emanuel, this jerk must be pulling a prank on me.

I think he noticed my astonishment, and just wanted me to give a message to Congressman Mitchell to call him back. At this moment I decided that Rahm was not an impersonator, and so I wrote down the number and said goodbye. I think he was checking up on moderate Democrats to make sure that they would be voting for the big legislation that's coming through Congress right now.

Thus concludes my 10-second encounter with Rahm Emanuel, President Obama's chief of staff. And no he did not curse at me.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Cool cool cool! Erica you are SUCH a badass now. It was fate that you were the one to pick up that call. Just wait until the day that you are some Big and Important person and some intern picks up your phone call and gets all giddy and starry-eyed... it's so gonna happen :)
Miss you and glad DC is treating you well!

ワイリー said...

Wow! I can't imagine the language he probably used later with Mitchell himself.

What did you think of Harry voting no on the bill?

Thanks for keeping us all updated!

Blairez said...

So, I have very mixed feelings about the bill, but overall I am happy with how Harry voted. It actually turned out very well for him.

He voted against it, pleasing conservatives.
His reasons for voting against it pleased liberals that were against the bill (because it wasn't strong enough/gave too much money to coal).
The bill passed, pleasing liberals (that liked the bill).

Helping to do research for the bill, I became upset with the large sums of money that were being given to the coal industry in the name of alternative fuels. But now I realize the bill would not have been passed without that. I also came to the realization that this is the most comprehensive energy legislation that we probably have every seen, so now I am really hoping that there is some action in the Senate.

haha, and Heidi, I hope one day that I am someday Big and Important.

Miss you guys!