Thursday, January 22, 2009

I'm herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre!

Oh man hello there friends back in "the States"!!!!! Hello from your muzungu (foreigner/white person/English-speaker) friend Heidi. Or Irene, which is what people call me here because "hi-dee" is very very difficult to hear/pronounce so I think I'm going to officially go by Irene.
Mwasuze mutya bannyabo se bassebo? That means "how did you spend the night ladies and gentleman?" in Luganda which is my new vernacular. I'm rocking it out. It's way fun.
"Ki kati?" or "Ogumba ki?" ("ki" pronounced like "chee") is "what's up?"
I don't have much time here on this very feeble, very slow internet connection but I wanted to use the little time I have to say I'm alive and kickin in here in the UG. So far we've taken a boat out to the source of the Nile (yeah, just THE famous Nile, no big thing), seen some wild monkeys, eaten a ton (literally a ton) of matooke (which is mashed plantains and is... hmm let's just say it's an acquired taste), and encountered a bunch of like three/four-foot-tall monster birds that fly around and remind me of velociraptors. Yep I totally want one as a pet.
Anyway, I have to go now but there will be more to come later.
Much love from Jinja!
Oh one more fun fact: the Luganda word for water is the exact same as the word for shit except for the emphasis of the vowels, so every time I order water I'm probably asking people for something very much less tasty.
TTFN!!

3 comments:

Blairez said...

Oh my gosh I'm glad you are getting to know the language!! You sound like a pro! How are the other people in your program? Are they cool? Any hotties? And you should post your mailing address! Good to hear from you, and glad you are doing well! Hope you don't have too many nightmares while you are over there! Love and miss you!!!

Heidi said...

Erica!!! I miss you tons! The people in my program are awesome. Of course as my luck would have it, hottie=taken. Ha what else is new. Any excitement in your life I should know about? How is being VP of the most powerful and extraordinary organization known to man (aka the ASUYDs, duh). You, my friend, need to make a post about good ol' Tempe!
Oh, and I had my first nightmare the night before last and it was horrible. A serial killer came and stabbed my host family to death in front of my eyes and I went running to a random neighbor's house and I tried to call 911 but of course there isn't 911 in Uganda and so I was just hiding there and he's on the loose and I get placed with a new family but still they haven't caught the guy so I'm uber-paranoid... and then I wake up. And there was an absurdly loud thunderstorm. Needless to say, I did not get much sleep that night :)
Okay love and miss you tons and tons! Say hello to everyone for me!

Blairez said...

Ha, I should have read this comment before I left my other one. Fail.

But that sounds like a terrible nightmare, geez!

I'm gonna go write an entry right now! ha!