Tuesday, July 7, 2009

What a lovely day in a lovely city

So yesterday I got to take the day off of work because we're getting a new staffer who is shadowing the staffer that will be leaving, so we don't have enough computers for all of us. So I thought I'd blog about my day outside of the office.

This is inside the Library of Congress, just across the street from my office building. If you are ever in DC, you must go here. There are more beautiful intricacies that cannot be described or photographed.


This is outside the Supreme Court building, right next to the Library of Congress. They are out of session, and their exhibit is gone, so I didn't spend very long in here.


The Capitol. I got to stand on top of that thing. :)


I named this guy Frank, after the movie Donnie Darko, and Frank lives in the National Sculpture Garden, where I spent about an hour reading my book.

After I ate lunch in the Natural History Museum, I headed home and took a long nap. I conclude that this day was a great day.

Today was also a great day, though, because I got to see Al Franken get sworn in as Senator. My fellow interns and I got to go an hour early to ensure that we had seats for the event. And we were front row. At first, morning business was going on, and there only about 5 senators max on the floor at a time. Then it began to draw closer to swearing in time, and more and more senators began to enter the floor. Then Senator Amy Klobuchar spoke for about 10 minutes to welcome her new colleague. She mentioned how Al had said that the third year of his campaign would be the best, and that got some laughs out of the packed gallery. Then Joe Biden entered the floor to take over as President of the Senate and partake in the ceremony. He had that big grin on his face like he always does. As soon as Al Franken was sworn in, the entire room erupted into applause, and everyone gave a standing ovation. Al Franken's wife could be seen in the front row of one of the gallery sections, and she's such a tiny little lady, but you could immediately tell how happy she was that this day had finally come. Again, it was a great day.

No comments: